We wanted to share this post from our friends at the Las Vegas franchise. We agree that these tips are awesome ways to save time and money on moving. Enjoy!
50 Simple cost effective moving tips
1. Before buying any new furniture always ask yourself, “How will I move this out of my house?’ Large items will cost you more to move out
2. Before moving a sleeper sofa, make sure the bed is secured to the frame of the sofa. Very bad things can happen if this is not done!
3. The smaller the box, the heavier the items. Large boxes are great for pillows, lamp shades or both!
4. If moving with children, involve them in the moving process in order to reduce confusion and stress. Designate a position for them based on their age and let them help
5. Pack shoes at the bottom of wardrobe boxes
6. DO NOT pack all your toilet paper and hand wash, your movers could need them
7. A/C Units should lay flat as if it was in a window
8. Have a tool kit on hand. One of the most important things to have on hand when you’re setting up your new home is a basic toolbox that includes basic tools and hardware, such as a hammer, screwdrivers, nails, hooks, etc.
9. Don’t bend, twist or fold a mattress
10. DO NOT lift dressers by the top as you may pull it right off!
11. Never slide an appliance or piece of furniture directly on a linoleum surface
12. Hire professional help
13. Never fold oriental rugs, always roll them up
14. Get ready for Bed. As soon as your bedroom furniture is delivered, set it up and put the sheets on the bed. You’ll be grateful that everything is ready for sleeping later on tonight when you’re really tired!
15. Never carry or load marble, glass or slate flat
16. If moving locally, leave your pets with a friend on moving day. Animals can become confused and frightened during a move
17. Before moving particle board make sure all loose joints are tightened/secured
18. Wait to pack your bathroom scale. Use it to keep your boxes under 30 LBS
19. Have cold drinks for your movers
20. Label it. As you’re packing, place removable, colored, circle stickers on your boxes to easily distinguish kitchen items, from bedroom items, from bathroom items, etc. Use a different color for each room. If necessary, make a master list so you’ll know what is in each box. If you can go to your new home ahead of time, you may wish to stick a corresponding colored sticker on the door, or door frame, of the room that the box will be delivered to.
21. While we are on labels: avoid packing labels the invite theft
22. Only hire the best. If you choose to hire professional movers, do your research and hire good ones. Poor quality movers really can be worse then none at all.
23. Reverse handles/knobs on dressers so they don’t get damaged or snagged
24. Set aside or do not pack all your cleaning supplies. You will need them later
25. Pack plates vertically and use a dish box with a cell kit
26. Candles, CD’s, DVD’s and computer software can all be damaged from high heat in trucks
27. Designate a “Packing Room” and pack a box or two a day
28. Do not forget to purchase a lock for your rental truck if you plan on leaving it alone overnight.
29. Use the A-B-C system. Everything you pack does not have to be unpacked the first day in your new home. If it contains essential items, mark it PRIORITY A. If the contents are important, but not crucial, mark the box PRIORITY B. If the box contains out of season items, holiday items and other things you won’t need right away, mark the box PRIORITY C. Then, unpack in A, B, C order.
30. When packing, wrap small fragile items in bright colored paper to avoid losing them.
31. Box Shades. Lamp shades are very fragile and easy to damage during a move. Its best to pack them in a large box before the movers come. You can also put pillows around the shades to offer extra protection.
32. Schedule utilities disconnection’s the day AFTER your move. Its not fun moving in the dark.
33. Book a rental truck for an extra day longer then you need. See tip #50.
34. Start Packing Early! Even if you only pack two boxes a day, in thirty days you will have packed sixty boxes. Start in areas where the goods are not in frequent use such as the cellar, attic, garage, etc.
35. Before you schedule your onsite estimate, decide in advance what things you want to take to your new home and what to leave behind. If you haven’t used something in a long time, why pay to have it moved?
36. Have ziplock bags and sharpie markers available on move day for screws/parts
37. Rent a Dolly
38. Throwing things away is a great alternative to packing
39. Listen to music while you pack
40. DO NOT use tape to secure wood drawers. It will ruin the finish.
41. Devise a Plan. Before you begin unpacking randomly, sit down with your family. Discuss a plan, including where things will go, who is responsible for what, etc. It will help things run smoothly.
42. Put mirrors and headboards between a mattress and box-spring before strapping them down.
43. Purchase mattress bags. They are cheap insurance.
44. Things will go wrong. Things will break. Laugh it off!
45. Make your first Night Special. Make the first night in your new place as special as possible. It can be take-out Chinese food or pizza, but you may sweeten the evening with flowers, candles and music. It will really make a big difference and will help you unwind and de-stress!
46. DO NOT fill hallways up with boxes. Leave clear walkways
47. Don’t pack clothes that you haven’t worn in 4 months
48. Crate expensive pieces of art, marble or glass
49. RENT MOVING PADS!!!
50. Expect the Unexpected
Do you have any moving tips that have helped you out? Let us know